31 January 2007

Art In Its Many Forms



Thom Browne (second from left, seated on car) is probably the most important American designer around right now and definitely my favorite. His clothes are great, in my opinion, even if the style is a bit difficult. His suits are a modern twist on very traditional suits. Sort of an exaggeration of old 1960's Brooks Brothers/JFK style. They typically fit really tight and everything seems a little bit too short. I think they're great. If anyone has some spare change, they could buy me one of his suits. If you don't have that much, you could just get me one of his shirts.

Other art I'm currently thinking about includes Bright Eyes. He is fantastic. I think I've listened to 4 straight records of his. I like it a lot minus all the Bush Presidency criticism, but whatever. It's not like I'm Bush's biggest fan, so it doesn't really bother me.

In Architecture, I really like the new Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston. The building is quite a modern creation for a city like Boston, whose modern architecture is about as exciting as NC State's. Check out the cantilever-like section over the top to create an amphitheater underneath. Coolest quality, the overhanging section is not supported by any columns. Check it out at this NY Times report.

That's all I've got today. I went to a meeting about some job offer for the summer, but it was bull crap. You could make a bunch of money selling stuff people don't need by convincing them that they can't do without it. The room was full of fakes and suck-ups which annoyed the crap out of me. I can't do a job that I don't care about. To do a good job I need to believe in the product, or at least the company, to really enjoy my job. Besides, I wouldn't be able to work and live with a bunch of greedy and apathetic kids anyway. So the job search is still on.

Encourage each other by building each other up. Be passionate. Invest your time, don't just use it. Enjoy the cold weather. Drink coffee. Read books. Do something fun. Don't think too hard.

No comments: