04 February 2007

20/20 Conference

I went to a conference at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary this weekend called the 20/20 conference. It was marvelous. The title was "Sex and the City of God." The speakers were all great and spoke on a variety of topics concerning sex, love, and marriage. Some of my readers are no doubt snickering at the thought of me, a college student, going to yet another conference on sex. We all thought we were done with that part of our lives didn't we? Fear not, however, for this was by far the most intelligent and valuable set of teaching that I have ever heard on any of these subjects. The conference brings together teachers, pastors, philosophers, and theologians from all around the east coast to speak, so it is no sort of "I gave my word to stop at third" type seminar.

There were 4 main sessions and 2 breakout sessions (actually 3 but I left early). The four main sessions were on marriage, speaking the truth in love, sex in heaven, and sexual abuse. All were great. The two break outs that I chose were on dating and homosexuality. The dating session was, perhaps, the first intelligent discussion of Christian dating I have ever heard. The second was probably the highlight of the entire conference as the teacher spoke on how to help people who are dealing with same-sex attraction without alienating them or compromising the teachings of the Bible which say that it is wrong. He was a great speaker.

I would love to write about all of the sessions, but those thoughts will come in later posts. I have tons of ideas and thoughts bouncing around in my head because of the conference, so I will no doubt be writing on lots of them (hopefully I can find the time).

I am still in a euphoric state over the NC State victory over UNC. I was not there, but I was going crazy in my dorm (that is the reason I left the conference early). I have to admit I thought there was no way we could possibly win, but I will not gloat about it.

I will not boast in anything accept the all-surpassing power of Christ which has saved my life and given me hope and joy. I beg you, give all you have to Christ, and you will never be in need. Keep things for yourself and you will never be satisfied.

Being an ambassador for Christ is no easy job. It takes a lot out of us. Love each other deeply. Do not alienate people. Rather, get to know them deeply that you may lead the to Christ. Preach the Gospel. If it is not received remember that the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. Continue preaching the Gospel to them anyway, how will they hear without someone preaching to them? Blessed are the feet of those who bring good news (Romans 10:14-15). Judgement is coming. God is no Santa Claus. Are we ready? When the Son of Man returns will he find any faithful on the earth? I pray that he does, and that we are a part of that group.

Think. Love. Listen. Read. Talk. Hope. Glorify.

"But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)..."
~Ephesians 2:4-5

2 comments:

Liz Hundley said...

"i will not boast in anything, no gifts, no power, no wisdom, but i will boast in Jesus Christ, his death and resurrection"

i especially won't boast about the game...haha.

thanks for the post, Kyle. they're always inspiring!

Anonymous said...

hey so i'm taking this class called contemporary apologetics. only, it's more like christians and culture 101. i think if you knew how great it was you would be very jealous. and actually, one of the readings we did for the class was by a professor from ncstate... i forget his name right now. hope you're well.